Subscribe to blog updates via email »
Appeal to the 99%: Srdja Popovic, Revolutionary & Author of Blueprint for Revolution – Love Your Work, Episode 179
Srdja Popovic (@SrdjaPopovic) is a revolutionary. He played a big part in overthrowing Serbian president Slobodan Miloševi?. He now coaches activists around the world in non-violent resistance techniques, through CANVAS (Center for Applied Nonviolent Action and Strategies).
This may seem out of left field to have a political activist on the show. It’s not meant to be some thinly-veiled political statement. Rather, I think anyone who is trying to get people on board with their message can learn a lot from the techniques of revolutionaries.
I recently read Srdja’s book, Blueprint for Revolution: How to Use Rice Pudding, Lego Men, and Other Nonviolent Techniques to Galvanize Communities, Overthrow Dictators, or Simply Change the World, and was blown away by the inventiveness and deft strategy of the techniques he shared. It’s a fascinating book whether you’re trying to overthrow a dictator, or you’re merely trying to get people to read your blog.
In this conversation, you’ll learn:
- We think Rosa Parks’s courageous stand was a spontaneous event. Learn how it was actually a strategic hit, designed for maximum effect.
- If you’re trying to get people on board with your message, branding is everything. Learn how a movement like Occupy Wall Street missed a golden branding opportunity.
- Effective activists choose tactics that have the most influence, with the smallest risk. Learn Srdja’s brainstorming techniques for homing in on these tactics. It’s a valuable exercise for any influencer.
New Weekly Newsletter: Love Mondays
Start off each week with a dose of inspiration to help you make it as a creative entrepreneur. Sign up at: kadavy.net/mondays
Join the Patreon for (new) bonus content!
I've been adding lots of new content to Patreon. Join the Patreon »
Subscribe to Love Your Work
Listen to the Srdja Popovic Interview
- Listen in iTunes >>
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- RSS feed for Love Your Work
Links and resources mentioned
- Blueprint for Revolution: How to Use Rice Pudding, Lego Men, and Other Nonviolent Techniques to Galvanize Communities, Overthrow Dictators, or Simply Change the World by Srdja Popovic
- Slobodan Miloševic
- The World’s Greatest Unreported Hyperinflation
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Occupy Movement
- Democratic Opposition of Serbia
- Multi-level Marketing
- 198 Methods of Nonviolent Action
- Gene Sharp
- Montgomery bus boycott
- Harvard Kennedy School
- Colorado College
- Arab Spring
- Civil Rights Movement
- Ghandi Salt March
- Why Dictators Don’t Like Jokes
- Toys cannot hold protest because they are not citizens of Russia, officials rule
- Occupy Wall Street
- We are the 99%
- Orange Revolution
- Harvey Milk
- James Lawson
- Sudanese protests
- Center for Applied Nonviolent Action and Strategies
Image Credit: Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung
Theme music: Dorena “At Sea”, from the album About Everything And More. By Arrangement with Deep Elm Records. Listen on Spotify »
Thinking of writing a book?
(for a limited time)