Subscribe to blog updates via email »
Andrew Warner of Mixergy Does it for Love – Love Your Work, Episode 169
To me, Andrew Warner’s (@andrewwarner) Mixergy podcast created the entire category of entrepreneur interview podcasts – a category this podcast here falls within. I started listening to Mixergy something like ten years ago, and it was one of the main podcasts that got my gears turning to eventually start this podcast – after putting it off for years, of course.
Andrew has created over 1,700 interviews and courses with top entrepreneurs. People like Jimmy Wales, Barbara Corcoran, and Paul Graham. He’s known for getting his guests to open up and reveal exact numbers in their businesses. Sometimes I find myself squirming at the direct questions he asks, but it works!
I recently took a trip to San Francisco to be on the Jordan Harbinger Show (look out for my appearance on that show toward the end of the month, I think you’ll like what I prepared specifically for that show). While I was in town, I was trying to think of who I would like to interview. The first person who came to mind was Andrew Warner.
In this conversation, you’ll learn:
- Monetization: Andrew was the first podcaster I can think of to put his past episodes behind a paywall. Why does Andrew think that was a great decision, what drove that decision, and why does he hate the word “paywall?”
- Did Andrew create the category of the entrepreneurial interview podcast? I was dying to know who inspired Andrew to interview entrepreneurs in the first place. We’ll find out.
- Why is harsh criticism a gift? Andrew shares his perspective which helps him keep improving.
Also, the day before the interview, Andrew messaged me. He wanted to change the location of the interview. We were originally going to do it in Mixergy’s offices in the Financial District of San Francisco, but now Andrew was inviting me to his HOUSE.
He said he’d explain why later. You’ll hear why in the interview – it’s pretty cool.
Support the show
Put your money where your mind is. Patreon lets you support independent creators like me. Get early access, bonus content, and other perks. Support now on Patreon »
University of California Irvine’s Division of Continuing Education: Spring quarter is coming up, and registration is open! To advance your career in as little as six months, visit http://ce.uci.edu, and enter the code PODCAST for 15% off one course.
Backblaze: Gimmick-free, unlimited cloud backup for Macs and PCs for just $6/month per computer. Get a full-featured 15-day free trial at http://backblaze.com/loveyourwork.
Free webinar coming Up!: How can you find the motivation to make it as a solopreneur? I'll be sharing my tricks in my upcoming webinar. Learn more at http://kadavy.net/motivation.
Subscribe to Love Your Work
Listen to the Andrew Warner Interview
- Listen in iTunes >>
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- RSS feed for Love Your Work
Links and resources mentioned
- Crescent Hotel
- Hero’s Journey
- Venture Voice
- Rosalind Resnick
- Howard Stern
- This American Life
- The Biography Of WordPress with Matt Mullenweg
- shorty awards
- Everyone is Accessible – interview with Gregory Galant
- VV Show #40 – Reid Hoffman of LinkedIn
- Paul Graham
- Kindle Direct Publishing
Theme music: Dorena “At Sea”, from the album About Everything And More. By Arrangement with Deep Elm Records. Listen on Spotify »
Thinking of writing a book?
Download your FREE copy of How to Write a Book »
(for a limited time)