Subscribe to blog updates via email »
Annie Duke: Good Decisions. Good Outcomes. – Love Your Work, Episode 197
When something bad happens, it’s tempting to think that you made a bad decision. But the quality of your decision making doesn’t always align with the quality of your outcomes.
Sometimes you make a good decision, and you have a bad outcome. Even more dangerous, sometimes you make a bad decision, and have a good outcome (you’ll learn why).
Annie Duke (@AnnieDuke) is a former professional poker player, and a decision strategist. She’s dedicated to improving decision-making skills around the world amongst adults and children. She’s author of Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don’t Have All the Facts.
In this conversation, you’ll learn:
- We often think of life as like a game of chess. Why is it actually more like a game of poker?
- How do we separate luck from skill? Learn the most common mental error people make that holds them back from ever learning to make better decisions.
- Why do strong opinions make you dumber? Learn how to overcome “motivated reasoning” to make more accurate predictions, and better decisions.
New Weekly Newsletter: Love Mondays
Start off each week with a dose of inspiration to help you make it as a creative. Sign up at: kadavy.net/mondays
Join the Patreon for (new) bonus content!
I've been adding lots of new content to Patreon. Join the Patreon »
Subscribe to Love Your Work
Listen to the Annie Duke Interview
- Listen in iTunes >>
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- RSS feed for Love Your Work
Theme music: Dorena “At Sea”, from the album About Everything And More. By Arrangement with Deep Elm Records. Listen on Spotify »
Thinking of writing a book?
(for a limited time)