Subscribe to blog updates via email »
Annie Duke: Good Decisions. Good Outcomes. – Love Your Work, Episode 197
When something bad happens, it’s tempting to think that you made a bad decision. But the quality of your decision making doesn’t always align with the quality of your outcomes.
Build your 100-word writing habit with my free email course. Click here to sign up »
Sometimes you make a good decision, and you have a bad outcome. Even more dangerous, sometimes you make a bad decision, and have a good outcome (you’ll learn why).
Annie Duke (@AnnieDuke) is a former professional poker player, and a decision strategist. She’s dedicated to improving decision-making skills around the world amongst adults and children. She’s author of Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don’t Have All the Facts.
In this conversation, you’ll learn:
- We often think of life as like a game of chess. Why is it actually more like a game of poker?
- How do we separate luck from skill? Learn the most common mental error people make that holds them back from ever learning to make better decisions.
- Why do strong opinions make you dumber? Learn how to overcome “motivated reasoning” to make more accurate predictions, and better decisions.
New Weekly Newsletter: Love Mondays
Start off each week with a dose of inspiration to help you make it as a creative. Sign up at: kadavy.net/mondays
Support the show
Put your money where your mind is. Patreon lets you support independent creators like me. Get early access, bonus content, and other perks. Support now on Patreon »
Subscribe to Love Your Work
Listen to the Annie Duke Interview
- Listen in iTunes >>
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- RSS feed for Love Your Work
Theme music: Dorena “At Sea”, from the album About Everything And More. By Arrangement with Deep Elm Records. Listen on Spotify »
100-Word Writing Habit is my free email course to help you build a writing habit »