Subscribe to blog updates via email »
“Education” Is a Waste?! Bryan Caplan, Author of “The Case Against Education” – Love Your Work, Episode 125
Is the educational system a waste of time and money? Most people can agree that schools are inefficient, boring, and expensive. I personally love learning, but I always hated school.
Build your 100-word writing habit with my free email course. Click here to sign up »
Yet, if you’re like me, you’re probably initially resistant to the idea that we should spend less on the educational system.
Our guest today, Bryan Caplan (@bryan_caplan), wants to make the case for spending less time, less money, and less human energy on trying to educate people. He’s author of the new book, The Case Against Education: Why the Education System Is a Waste of Time and Money.
Bryan says that people aren’t making more money after earning a college degree because they learned more. It’s just the piece of paper itself that employers care about. If we didn’t push so many people to earn college degrees – and to rack up debt in the process – degrees wouldn’t be a base-level requirement for survival in today’s job market.
Intriguing isn’t it? In this conversation, you’ll find out:
- What’s the difference between the “signaling” and the “human capital” models of looking at education? Why is this the key to seeing education as a waste of time and money?
- If we cut education, won’t inequality get worse? Bryan tells us why he thinks cutting education spending would actually bring more opportunity to the underprivileged.
- What is the “social desirability bias?” Bryan tells us why this bias leads us blindly into wasting time and money on so-called education.
It’s a thought-provoking conversation. You’re bound to hear something you don’t agree with, and you’ll be forced to think about it. Hopefully you enjoy that as much as I do.
Support the show
Put your money where your mind is. Patreon lets you support independent creators like me. Get early access, bonus content, and other perks. Support now on Patreon »
Skillshare: An online learning community with over 18,000 classes in design, business and more. Get two months of unlimited premium access – for only 99¢! Go to http://skillshare.com/loveyourwork.
Weebly: Start your beautiful, modern, easy-to-build Online Store. Get 15% off at http://weebly.com/loveyourwork.
Subscribe to Love Your Work
Listen to the Bryan Caplan Interview
- Listen in iTunes >>
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- RSS feed for Love Your Work
Theme music: Dorena “At Sea”, from the album About Everything And More. By Arrangement with Deep Elm Records. Listen on Spotify »