Subscribe to blog updates via email »
Jason Fried: It Doesn’t Have to Be Crazy at Work – Love Your Work, Episode 147
You hear it all of the time. Maybe you even say it yourself: It’s “crazy” at work. There are unrealistic deadlines, demanding bosses, and wall-to-wall meetings.
Jason Fried (@jasonfried) believes it doesn’t have to be that way. In fact, he’ll tell you why in his new book, called It Doesn’t Have to Be Crazy at Work.
Build your 100-word writing habit with my free email course. Click here to sign up »
Jason needs no introduction for many of you, but for everyone else: Jason is the CEO of Basecamp, which is simple yet powerful project management software. Basecamp the software has a long history of staying simple even when it doesn’t make intuitive sense. Basecamp the company, with Jason at the helm, has a long history of espousing sensible work practices, even when they don’t make intuitive sense.
We’ll talk about:
- What’s the difference between deadlines, and “dreadlines?” How can this simple distinction help you stay in control of your projects?
- How does Jason and his company struggle with it being “crazy” at work, and what do they do about it? Hear about their fascinating “uphill/downhill” tactic for deciding when to quit a project that just won’t end.
- Hear specific ways to handle clients that make it “crazy” at work. Jason will tell you exactly what to say, and guide you through a real-life scenario using the stoic technique of “negative visualization.”
Jason was the very first guest on Love Your Work, three years ago. I’m thrilled to have him back.
Image credit: Michael Berger
Support the show
Put your money where your mind is. Patreon lets you support independent creators like me. Get early access, bonus content, and other perks. Support now on Patreon »
Babbel: The #1-selling language learning app in the world. Learn Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Swedish, and more. Download the app to try for free at http://babbel.com.
Gusto: Refreshingly easy payroll, benefits, and HR for the modern small business. Get 3 months free once you run your first payroll http://gusto.com/loveyourwork.
Earth Class Mail: Transforms the daily piles of mail, checks, and invoices into digital documents that you can act upon. Get 8% off the monthly plan or 10% off an annual contract with the promo code LOVEYOURWORK at http://earthclassmail.com.
Subscribe to Love Your Work
Listen to the Jason Fried Interview
- Listen in iTunes >>
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- RSS feed for Love Your Work
Theme music: Dorena “At Sea”, from the album About Everything And More. By Arrangement with Deep Elm Records. Listen on Spotify »
100-Word Writing Habit is my free email course to help you build a writing habit »