Subscribe to blog updates via email »
Michelangelo’s Creative Process. Ross King, author of The Pope’s Ceiling – Love Your Work, Episode 99
Ross King is author of the book The Pope’s Ceiling. It tells the story of just how Michelangelo managed to paint 12,000 square feet of ceiling with little or no experience as a painter.
Build your 100-word writing habit with my free email course. Click here to sign up »
I think there’s a dangerous belief in creative work. And that is the belief that certain artists are simply gifted, and that that alone explains their greatness.
It’s easy to look up at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and conclude that Michelangelo lived up to his reputation as the “divine one.” That he wasn’t human. That he was actually a god of sorts. Today, we’ll talk about the process that Michelangelo actually took to complete this seemingly impossible masterpiece.
In this conversation, you’ll learn:
- How did Michelangelo curate his reputation as a “divine” painter. He really wanted people to believe that, and he shaped that perception.
- Michelangelo started painting the ceiling with little or no painting experience. He knew he would have failures along the way. How did he turn his failures into success in the project?
- Even though Michelangelo didn’t have experience as a painter, he had built up a bag of tricks to draw from. Learn how he used his other experiences to make his first attempt at painting a success.
Support the show
Put your money where your mind is. Patreon lets you support independent creators like me. Get early access, bonus content, and other perks. Support now on Patreon »
Skillshare: An online learning community with over 18,000 classes in design, business and more. Get two months of unlimited premium access – for only 99¢! Go to http://skillshare.com/loveyourwork.
Storyblocks: Download any of over 400,000 royalty-free stock images. Try out all the stock photos you can imagine FREE for 7 days. Go to storyblocks.com/loveyourwork
Subscribe to Love Your Work
Listen to the Ross King Podcast Interview
- Listen in iTunes >>
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- RSS feed for Love Your Work
Theme music: Dorena “At Sea”, from the album About Everything And More. By Arrangement with Deep Elm Records. Listen on Spotify »