Subscribe to blog updates via email »
Feed Your Good Wolf. Eric Zimmer of The One You Feed Podcast on Fighting Heroin Addiction with Creativity. – Love Your Work, Episode 181
Eric Zimmer (@etzimmer) was living in a van. He had Hepatitis C and weighed 100 pounds. Then he got arrested and lost his job. He was facing up to forty years in jail time. He had a $300-a-day addiction to heroin.
Today, Eric is host of the popular podcast, The One You Feed, which was named one of the best podcasts on iTunes in 2014, and has more than 10 million downloads. The One You Feed is based upon an old parable about a good wolf and a bad wolf at battle inside each of us. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Build your 100-word writing habit with my free email course. Click here to sign up »
Eric straightened out his life and has overcome addiction. He helps others not only through The One You Feed, but also through behavioral coaching work.
How did Eric go from a $300-a-day heroin addiction to 13 years clean and sober? We’ll find out today.
We’ll also talk about:
- The delicate relationship between creative pursuit and self image. How can creativity become a scapegoat for self-destruction, or a vehicle for self improvement?
- How was Eric able to integrate friendship and his love for music into his podcast? The One You Feed helps him feed his “good wolf.”
- Why is Eric grateful that he was drawn to heroin? Counterintuitively, the victory of a “bad wolf” can spring the “good wolf” into action.
And if you’d like to hear Eric interview me on The One You Feed, my episode went live yesterday! We talk about the importance of making good/bad judgement calls when you’re trying to make it as a creator. Listen here.
New Weekly Newsletter: Love Mondays
Start off each week with a dose of inspiration to help you make it as a creative entrepreneur. Sign up at: kadavy.net/mondays
I’m in Chicago next week. Meet me at the Love Your Work meetup. Details and tickets here.
Support the show
Put your money where your mind is. Patreon lets you support independent creators like me. Get early access, bonus content, and other perks. Support now on Patreon »
Subscribe to Love Your Work
Listen to the Eric Zimmer Interview
- Listen in iTunes >>
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- RSS feed for Love Your Work
Links and resources mentioned
- One You Feed Podcast
- The Two Wolves parable
- Keith Richards
- Kurt Cobain
- Vincent van Gogh
- Leonard Cohen
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- Arthur Ashe
Theme music: Dorena “At Sea”, from the album About Everything And More. By Arrangement with Deep Elm Records. Listen on Spotify »
100-Word Writing Habit is my free email course to help you build a writing habit »