Subscribe to blog updates via email »
Make Art That Sells: Phil Thompson of Cape Horn Illustration – Love Your Work, Episode 133
Phil Thompson (@Cape_Horn_CHI) is the illustrator and business mind behind Cape Horn Illustration, which sells Chicago wall art. Today we have a great discussion on making art that sells.
Build your 100-word writing habit with my free email course. Click here to sign up »
Phil’s portfolio of products includes maps of microbreweries in Chicago, marathon maps for all of the major marathons, and “home portraits.” His work has been featured on the sets of major motion pictures like “The Big Sick,” and “Blockers.”
Phil also happens to be my mastermind partner. We’ve been talking every two weeks about how to balance our individual artistic visions with what the market wants. We’ve learned a lot in our conversations, and I’m really excited to be sharing Phil and his work with you today.
Today, we’ll talk about:
- How do you “validate” your art. Hear about Phil’s first experiments in selling his artwork online. What did he learn from his first success, and what did he learn from his first big failure?
- How do you make your art marketable? Learn to think about what your art does for someone. How does that translate into sales?
- How can you turn your interests into profitable art? I love how Phil has been able to take his curiosities – whether it’s running marathons or learning about Chicago architecture – and he’s been able to use those curiosities to fuel profitable art.
Support the show
Put your money where your mind is. Patreon lets you support independent creators like me. Get early access, bonus content, and other perks. Support now on Patreon »
Skillshare: An online learning community with over 18,000 classes in design, business and more. Get two months of unlimited premium access – for only 99¢! Go to http://skillshare.com/loveyourwork.
Weebly: Start your beautiful, modern, easy-to-build Online Store. Get 15% off at http://weebly.com/loveyourwork.
Subscribe to Love Your Work
Listen to the Phil Thompson Interview
- Listen in iTunes >>
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- RSS feed for Love Your Work
Theme music: Dorena “At Sea”, from the album About Everything And More. By Arrangement with Deep Elm Records. Listen on Spotify »
100-Word Writing Habit is my free email course to help you build a writing habit »