Subscribe to blog updates via email »
Medium.com Writing, Book Positioning & Marketing Psychology w/ Nir Eyal & David Kadavy – Love Your Work, Episode 49
This week’s episode is a bit of an experiment. I’ve had Nir Eyal, author of Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products, on the show before. We had a little debate about digital distraction back in episode 21.
Nir and I have both been exploring new book ideas independently, and practicing writing about those ideas, somewhere within that space. I’ve been leaning more into the productivity space, which you’ve heard a lot of on this podcast.
So, we recently had a call where we discussed where we were headed, how we’re testing out new ideas, and how we might position new ideas. We figured, just in case, we’d record the conversation, in case it would make a good podcast episode.
And I think it will make a good episode, especially if you’re an aspiring author who wonders how to home in on the right book idea. We’ll talk about writing for Medium.com, and why it’s such a powerful tool for testing out new ideas. I’ll get very specific about my process for analyzing ideas I write on Medium, and how I decide what’s worth pursuing further. We’ll also talk about the psychology of book positioning, book marketing, and coming up with titles for books – a bit of an extension of the book marketing conversation I had with Tucker Max on episode 29.
WP Engine: Grow out of the scarcity mindset, and grow out of your $5-a-month hosting plan. WP Engine costs way less than your cable bill! Learn more at wpengine.com/lyw
Freshbooks: When you’re billing your clients, the last thing you want to waste your time and mental energy on is creating invoices. FreshBooks customers get paid an average of 5 days faster. Get your free 30-day trial at https://kadavy.net/freshbooks
D4H Video: Get $100 off my flagship design course when you use the code LOVEIT at https://kadavy.net/video
Subscribe to Love Your Work
Listen to the podcast episode
- Listen in iTunes >>
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- RSS feed for Love Your Work
- Nir’s Twitter
- Kadavy’s Twitter
- Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
- Design for Hackers: Reverse-Engineering Beauty
- Nir’s Medium Profile
- Kadavy’s Medium Profile
- The Mission Medium Publication
- The Startup Medium Publication
- Our first date was perfect, then she died
- Yes, you can leave the North America bubble
- Getting Things Done (my Getting Things Done book summary)
- Trust Me I’m Lying
- Criminal podcast
- The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains
- Smarter Than You Think: How Technology is Changing Our Minds for the Better
- Tucker Max Love Your Work podcast interview
- The Game
- A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
- Doing Good Better
- 80,000 Hours
- Max Temkin Love Your Work podcast interview
Thinking of writing a book?
(for a limited time)